Saturday, January 14, 2012

But Wait--There's More!

Remember the little red cap and mittens to match from my last post?
I could not resist the urge to embellish these; they were so plain. And so red.
Normally I like classic, clean lines in clothing.  With this, I broke my unspoken bias against too many doodads on knitted garments.  What can this possibly mean?  

The "flowers" were made with a simple crochet chain (pretty much the limit of my abilities there), twenty stitches for each petal, using a 3.75mm hook.  The buttons are gray metal LaMode buttons from Jo-Ann fabrics.  I do like the capricious attitude it gives a seriously red hat!

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Mittens to Match

Pattern:  Classic Mittens from Free Vintage Knitting on Ravelry.
Yarn:  Cascade Yarns Cloud, 70% Merino, 30% baby alpaca.
Needles:  #4 dpns.
 Comments:  The stitch pattern on the cuffs is from the brim of the hat pattern in my previous post.
Since it is not a very stretchy stitch, I had to go down a size for the cuff of the mittens, this made it necessary to lengthen things a bit, which I do in most mitten patterns anyway.  The red is very difficult to photograph, and it is really a deeper red than shows on the screen.  They have not been blocked yet, so that might make the stitching look a bit more even.  They're just in time for a cold snap here in Minnesota!

Thursday, January 05, 2012

Little Red Cap

Pattern:  Eco Cloud Mock Cable Watch Cap
Yarn:  Cascade Cloud (70% merino, 30% baby alpaca)
Needles:  #8 (5 mm) 16" circs and dpns.
Comments:  The stitch doesn't seem to be a mock cable, but I guess it does have that sort of look to it.  The pattern is fun, quick to knit, and the yarn is really soft and light.  My three deviations to the pattern were to use a size 8 instead of 9 needle (I liked the look of a tighter stitch), and to skip the cable cast on because I kept splitting the yarn so I just did a long-tail cast on.  Then the pattern said to knit the hat to 8" but I stopped at 7-1/2" because I didn't want slouch.  I may make some mittens to match.

Monday, January 02, 2012

Mira's Cowl, Grace Kelly Style.

Pattern:  Mira's Cowl (Grace Kelly style)
Yarn:  Online Cosmo (70% Merino, 5% cashmere, 25% Poly) sock yarn
Needles:  #7 (4.5mm)

Comments:  
This cowl seemed to be doomed to a wonky end. No, it wasn't the pattern. The pattern is lovely; a Fibonacci sequence of ribbing that is very attractive.  It wasn't the yarn.  The yarn, a nice blend of Merino and cashmere, is yummy and soft. I fear it was the knitter.

After I bound off, I noticed a couple of errors.  So I did my best to fix those with duplicate stitches.  That didn't look so great, but it was better than glaring purl stitches on stockinette.  So much for working with dark yarn on a winter night in Minnesota.

I decided I'd better block it, so I soaked it and then realized that my bind off side was much looser than my cast on side.  So, stretching to match the loose side did not work and I ended up snagging it!  Then I struggled with damp yarn, trying to minimize the snag.  Uffda, to put it mildly.

The yarn looked better before blocking, so I wish I hadn't blocked it.  But it twists into a rather nice "Grace Kelly" type of scarf, so all is not lost.