Saturday, May 14, 2011

Attaching Buttons with Yarn

How to attach buttons on hand knitted items is always a puzzle for me.  Do I use yarn or thread?
If I use thread, will it compromise the knitted fabric?  If I use yarn, how do I thread it onto the needle?  Some knitters advocate un-plying the yarn so that it isn't so thick but I don't think that would work so well with this yarn.


Well, I found a little packet of collapsible eye needles that just might do the trick.  After breaking one of the needs, finally I attached the buttons like this:
Yarn:  Classic Elite Sprout, 100% organic cotton
Pattern:  Three-Way Wrap by Ingrid Nickols
Needles:  #10 (6 mm)
Comments:  The yarn is soft and cuddly; nice to knit.
Then, with the leftover yarn I made this hat:
Yarn:  Classic Elite Sprout, 100% organic cotton
Pattern:  Maggie's Beret by Danielle Romanetti
Needles:  #10 (6 mm)
Comments:  I should have used smaller needles because the hat is plenty large for my smallish head.
But it might fit someone else just perfectly!

2 comments:

Kym said...

LOVE that "attachment." Looks perfect!

Rjkimpex said...

It is looking smart work and very useful. Check also http://www.rjkimpex.com/yarn_products.php