Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Leftovers

What to do with those bits and pieces of yarn...that is the question.  'Tis nobler to knit them up than to let them languish, is it not?
I have not done much in the way of color work, and some of my attempts have not turned out the way I had hoped.  Some have not turned out at all, and that brings up a conversation I had the other day with a knitter who was a casual acquaintance.  I was telling her that some of my knitting doesn't always turn out well and I asked her if she didn't have the same experience now and then.  "No," she replied.  I quickly changed the subject.

This is what came out of my needles as I was planning to do striped socks using yarn scraps.  I don't have enough of the lovely gray to do the rest of the sock in, so it will be black.  Due to limited yardage, they will be short.  True, this is more a study in black and gray than color work!

Tell me, what do you do with your leftover yarn?  And please, please tell me that you have knitting projects that don't turn out well!  My bruised ego depends on it.

5 comments:

Andrea Vlahakis said...

Ouch! Well, I've been knitting for a lot of years and I have projects that now and then don't turn out well for any number of reasons that have nothing to do with skill—whatever the level.

Sometimes a project just isn't meant to be—either it's not what you envisioned or it's Just. Not. Working. It happens. Case in point. I began a lovely sock pattern with nice yarn, but the variegations in the yarn blared out and the knit/purl pattern seemed lost. I've abandoned it for now. At some point I'll decide what to do with it.

So feel better. You're not alone. :)

I save my leftovers for small projects. I recently needed a baby gift and had some tosh dk left that became a hat.

BTW, love your study in black and gray!

Kathy... said...

I randomly combine 2 sock yarns together and knit children's charity mittens with them. Colors are haphazard - but fun, and with a tight gauge, they are dense and warm.

As for failed projects - yes. It happens. Colorwork takes two things..... practice and patience on your part till the practice starts paying off. (She lied to you) ;)

travellersyarn said...

I've had massive project fails - as does every knitter I know. You are not alone!

Kym said...

Project fails? Oh, I could write a book. Sometimes real, true, hideous FAILS. . . and sometimes just things that don't turn out quite like I had hoped. I'd say my percentage is pretty high. . .

And I love the grey/black COLOR work (I have an ongoing argument with a friend who insists grey isn't a color).

Guinifer said...

Some of it gets donated, some of it goes to my friends who are making sock-yarn afghans!