Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Silken Web

Yarn: Rowan Kidsilk Haze, 70% super kid mohair, 30% silk, colorway #585, "Nightly."
Pattern: Everyday Wrap by Julie Weisenberger. Sort of. Ravelry Link.
Needles: #9 Addi Turbo Lace circulars.
Here's all the yarn that was left.
Comments: This shawl/scarf started out as the Everyday Wrap but I had two skeins of this lovely yarn and I found myself just knitting and knitting and knitting. It was my "grab and go," car-riding, here-and-there (but mostly in the daytime because it's so dark) knitting for quite some time now.

Modifications: When I got toward the end of the yarn, I decided to add my own ruffle simply by knitting into the front and back of every stitch, effectively doubling the number of stitches. Then I knit ten rows and cast off loosely. Now the cast-on end did not match. So I unpicked it and added a ruffle to the other end of the shawl/scarf. This I do not recommend when you are working with cobwebby yarn. Better if you do a provisional cast-on.

So, this isn't really the shawl that it started out to be, but its inspiration (and number of cast on stitches) came from Julie's pattern. Thanks, Julie!

7 comments:

Guinifer said...

Oh, so purty!

Carie said...

Simple but beautiful - sounds just perfect to me :)

Artseycrafts said...

How pretty! My goal after finishing gift knitting is to try lace again.

Walden said...

This is so beautiful, I just love it.

Kathy... said...

Very nice! The photos are great too...it even looks soft! Good ruffle technique. I never would have thought of that..... duh!

Jean said...

I like how it looks - like it would float with the slightest breeze, should be wonderful to wear.

Kym said...

Just lovely! I bet it feels like a cozy cloud when you're wearing it. There's nothing quite like KSH. . . I love it. (Did you know that KSH melts in a puppy's mouth? Kind of like cotton candy. . .)