Saturday, November 14, 2009

The Band Heel

This is a Band Heel in progress, with an excel file to do the math for your size sock.Dave at Criminy Jickets has written such a clear tutorial about the Band Heel. He tells me it's an old pattern, and I am amazed that it is not being used more often.

You see, there is no gusset with this heel. You do a short flap, turn the heel, pick up a few stitches and just knit until the required length for the foot. No gusset!
Realizing that many people have their own way of making socks and the number of circumference stitches may vary, with Dave's encouragement I have created an excel spreadsheet to aid in using this heel for your own socks. Download it here or from my side panel. You will need to be able to read excel files in order to use it.

Simply type in your number of circumference stitches, hit the enter key on your keyboard, and it will automatically calculate the rest for you. No gusset, no math!

Now, it hasn't been proven to me that this is a satisfactory heel as far as comfort goes, but I really like skipping the gusset part. Having tried on the partial sock, I find it fits just fine without the traditional gusset or short rows.

And much thanks to Dave for his good math on the subject!

10 comments:

Kathy... said...

Interesting. As I look at the photo, I do think I used that heel on some of my very first socks....probably 20 (or so) years ago. So, I agree it is an "old" heel technique. I used patterns from an old magazine if I remember correctly. Anyway - thanks for all your hard work....I'm going to snatch that spreadsheet. You AND Dave together...awesome!!

Sally S. said...

Wow, no gussets, no math, I like it and can't wait to try it.

Thank you for sharing it with all of us!

Deb said...

Thanks...I have to give it a try.

Carie said...

I guess it's a little like a short row heel with no gusset - I'm intrigued, I'll have to give it a try soon

carolyn said...

This looks really interesting. Thanks for putting together the excel chart. I'm going to try this on my next socks.

Noni said...

Looks like there are are some fields in the spreadsheet that aren't working correctly. But a great spreadsheet otherwise!

Kay-From the Back Yard said...

The spreadsheet is locked, except for the circumference stitches (in green) and the link to my blog and also to the Criminy Jickets blog, that may be why Noni thought the fields weren't working properly.

If you find any problems, please let me know which row and column they are.

Thanks! Kay

Elizabeth said...

Thanks for the spread sheet--sure makes my life easier!

Anonymous said...


You've made the incomprehensible accessible.
Thank you so much!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much. I have been looking for enough info to do this heel for at least 4 years. Without the maths it just wasn't going to happen!

I can't save the excel sheet properly - it stops working after I save it, due to my incompatibility issues (I have old excel from office 7). However, I was able to see my numbers and wrote them down. Excited that I finally get to make this heel. I think it looks really nice. I assume it will fit as a short row heel does.

Thank you for doing all the sums and taking the time to share it.
Sara