Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Dotted Swiss

It was a yellow dotted swiss dress with purple sequins at the neckline. The ballet recital was performed with friends dressed alike on the same stage two-time Grammy winner Maria Schneider graced as a schoolgirl and musician extraordinaire many years later. Thick, dark blue velvet curtains with gold trim hid our teacher, Mrs. Palmer, at the sidelines expertly dancing the same steps in case anyone forgot them.

I never wore the dress again. Did I grow out of it? I don't remember. Most likely my mother, the fashion expert of our family, deemed it not worthy of my wardrobe. But I never forgot it and that magical night.

Sometimes you get inspiration from memories. This is one of those times.Yarn: Regia Cotton, 41% wool, 34% cotton, 25% Poly, colorway 122.
Pattern: My personal pattern, with the Seed Stitch Border.
Needles: #1 (2.25mm) Kollage square dpns.
Comments: Color is faded on the two lower photos, but the top one is pretty true. I cast on 60 stitches for these, rather than 64 because they have some cotton and they might stretch out as I wear them. Also made sure they were of a length that I could fold over to wear as anklets. The square needles have disappointingly developed some wear on the edges near the points.No purple sequins for these babies!

8 comments:

Jean said...

The socks look comfy and cool. Great classic! I was also looking at your previous posts - you much LOVE doing dishes with all those dish rags (LOL).

Artseycrafts said...

How pretty! Dotted Swiss brings back memories for me too. I remember learning to sew by making a red dotted swiss blouse and skirt in Home Ec.(LOL)

Guinifer said...

Those are smashing
I would like a dotted swiss blouse...

Kathy said...

I love these! I love the simplicity of them.

You done good!

Virtuous said...

Luv the socks as they are so you!!! :o)

Lynn said...

What great socks!!!! I'm still plugging away on my winterscape ones. I really need to find some time to pull them out.

Deb said...

Great socks and great dishcloths!

One of my favorite dishcloth patterns is the Feather and Fan Dishcloth
designed by Linda Smith

http://www.groupepp.com/dishbout/kpatterns/feather.html

except on Row 7, I purl instead of knit.

Kathy... said...

Very pretty indeed!