Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Springtime in Minnesota

Just a little Spring beauty...Blue flowers fading fast...
Hosta greens...
Red tulips lasted a couple weeks this year, and they're almost done now.
The delicate Bleeding Hearts...
Our ground is mostly clay and I've struggled with this weed/flower garden for many years. A pesky invasive white-flowered chive plant (not shown--it doesn't deserve photo coverage) inherited from the previous homeowner has vexed me from day one. I have blue-flowered chives that play nicely with the others, but the white chive hops...even to the other side of the house! It doesn't find a space of its own--it likes to nestle within my pink baby's breath and other favorites.

It took me awhile to get rid of the Snow on the Mountain; can anyone tell me how to rid my world of these pesky white-flowered invasive chives?

5 comments:

Angie said...

Do they flower in late summer with a slightly larger sized flower than purple chives and flatter/broader leaves? If so, I'm guessing you have a lot of garlic chives. To stop the spreading snip the blossom before it opens - if you let it, they go to seed quickly. Then dig. I like the chives but they are prolific!

Artseycrafts said...

I tried bleeding hearts but had no luck. Yours are very pretty.

Lynn said...

I really wish tulips lasted longer than they actually do!

Suzzanne said...

Ahhh, springtime in Minnesota. So pretty.

Mel said...

OOh, these plants look lovely. We're starting winter here in New Zealand, so I'm having season envy!