Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day!

Here's a Mother's Day gift I received from my son. It's a beautiful Bougainvillea Bonsai! The pink part is actually a specialized leaf surrounding its tiny flower.

There are some directions with it, one of which is to remove a third of the roots every spring. I had an asparagus fern once that was so root bound that it cracked the pot open. Maybe I should put a reminder on my calendar to de-root my bougainvillea next spring.

If any of you readers have experience growing bonsais, I would appreciate any tips you can share. In the meantime, I think I already over-watered it. So I will be reading up on how to care for it.

3 comments:

Artseycrafts said...

Happy Mother's Day Kay! I wish I could help with your bouganvilla bonsai but I know zero about caring for them. It is very pretty.

Angie said...

Lovely! Happy Mother's Day!

Nicole said...

What a beautiful gift! There are plenty of information sites on the web -- this one is pretty straight forward: http://www.bonsaitreecare.org/types/bougainvillea.php . One of the more difficult things about bonsai is that most of them like to live outdoors, at least in the summer, and then need a dormant time during the winter. Sounds like bougainvillea is pretty easy this way, though (although the directions at the website I mentioned do say "water sparingly", lol). I hope this Mother's Day gift gives you joy for many years to come!