Saturday, April 04, 2009

Organizing Your Projects on Ravelry


I knew I was deep into a hobby called, rather innocently enough, knitting, and I pondered a way to keep notes on yarns and patterns, modifications, tools, etc. This blog was supposed to fill the bill, and along the way I blogged about other things I had organized to at least a modicum of satisfaction.

Then Ravelry came along. Never having been much of a joiner, I stood back and listened to others raving about this social knitting network. I didn't last long as an observer. Soon I joined, too. Today I discovered a neat organizing tool that's been there for some time. Duh. You can organize all your projects with tabs on your project page! Take a look at my project page--you'll have to join Ravelry if you haven't already (and if not, why not?)--and you will see that I have organized projects into the following groups:

Baby
Bags
Gloves/Mittens
Hats
Miscellaneous
Scarves
Shawls
Socks
Sweaters

Why organize into categories? When you get over a hundred projects, it gets slower finding those you need to look up to find the name of the yarn you used, the needles, the pattern, etc. And I am surprised at the number of times I find myself looking up that information I thought would surely remember.

Limedragon has organized hers by year, which I thought was a good idea, and some of my other friends have also done that. I may add that tab to mine as well.

I wonder how many tabs one can have before filling up the whole page.

3 comments:

Dave said...

Very cool! I knew you could do that for your queue, but I didn't know it worked for projects too. Thanks for the tip!

limedragon :-: Harriet said...

Yes! I love all the organizational stuff we have on Ravelry. Thanks for the reminder; I needed to add a 2009 tab. : )

Erika May said...

thanks for the tip! very nicely organized.