Friday, February 20, 2009

The Milky Way

This isn't knitting stuff and I am not an astronomy buff (hey, that rhymes), but I really enjoy seeing The Astronomy Picture of the Day each day. A brief explanation is written for each by professional astronomers.

Yesterday's photo is a fabulous Mauna Kea Milky Way panoramic view. Go to the linked site and you can use the scroll bar at the bottom of the screen to scroll right and left to see the whole view. Pause your cursor over the photo to view the names of the stars.

Here's the RSS feed for The Astronomy Picture of the Day in case any of you want to see it daily in your Bloglines or Google or Yahoo readers. And if you aren't using a reader, I highly recommend signing up for one. You can get your favorite news, blogs and even podcasts delivered daily. If you are on Ravelry, you can have your friends' updates such as new projects and things they have favorited go directly into your reader. So you only have to look in one place. Be warned, though. Your friends' faves can be a hefty amount of stuff to scroll through.

Having tried other readers, I am now using my Microsoft Outlook 2007 to read RSS feeds. Still living in Outlook.

4 comments:

limedragon :-: Harriet said...

That's a good recommendation! I'll be trying out the Astronomy POTD, thanks. :)

At Ravelry, you can choose different Friend Activity filters, apply the settings, and then get a new feed for these filters only. For example, I have the Friend activity feed split up into three feeds for my interests: favorites, queue, and projects. I find it more manageable/less overwhelming than one fat feed. : )

Guinifer said...

Astronomy = one of my very favorite college courses - Betelgeuse, Betelgeuse, Betelgeuse!

Artseycrafts said...

Interesting! I was very interested in Astronomy while in school but have forgotten most everything I knew.(LOL) There is a green comet arriving next Monday (I think) - a once in a lifetime event!

Sally said...

My hubby really enjoyed the Astronomy Picture of the Day site.

Who knew a knitting blog would have so much to offer him? I wonder if he will become a lurker now?