Thursday, February 26, 2009

The Impossible Dream

As you can see, I've made a somewhat successful attempt to match the striping. With Noro yarn, that can be the impossible dream. But it's close enough and probably won't be noticed if I keep my arms down while wearing it. Not that I walk around with them over my head, of course. Matching gets a bit trickier on the upper front where I tried to attach the second ball of yarn at just the right spot.

The pattern says to join the right shoulder seam and then pick up stitches to attach ribbing, which would involve joining the left shoulder seam along with the ribbing at the end. I wonder if it would be okay to join both shoulder seams and pick up the ribbing in the round? Or would it not lie properly flat? Please comment if you have any ideas on this.

8 comments:

Artseycrafts said...

I have only knit a few sweaters but I joined both shoulders before picking up stitches for the ribbing. It seems to me there would be more problems if you knit according to the pattern instructions. But what do I know.(LOL)

Kathy... said...

Looks like you did a fantastic job on that stripe matching! Noro is quite the challenge too!!

My thinking is in line with Shirley's, but I would read and re-read the pattern first, in case I was missing something - a problem that might be caused down the road. (Hmmmm - do you suppose she speaks from experience???)

Guinifer said...

Love that colorway. I've not tried to match stripes before.

Suzzanne said...

Such pretty colors. Usually, my instinct is to trust the pattern writer. I would consider the source of your pattern. Was it tested before being published? Otherwise, I am with you. The neck ribbing would look better without a seam.

Carie said...

I think you would be fine to join both shoulders and knit in the round - a lot of English patterns have you join one shoulder only just so that you can knit the neckband on straight needles and I've yet to come a cropper knitting it in the round.

Beautiful Noro stripes (as usual!)

Walden said...

oohhh, it is turning out quite lovely.

Virtuous said...

Glad others chimed in as I agree that most patterns have you join both then pick up in the round for ribbing...I say do that!

Angie said...

You did a very nice stripe color matching job. How many extra skeins did you need? :D