Sunday, January 18, 2009

Those Enormous Socks

Yarn: Cascade Yarns Heritage Sock Yarn, color #5601 Black (75% Merino Superwash, 25% Nylon). Lana Grossa Meilenweit color #1105 Charcoal (80% wool, 20% Polyamid).
Pattern: My personal pattern
Needles: #1 (2.25mm) dpns
Comments: Cascade sock yarn is really nice to knit with. It's soft, but not too soft, and has good stitch definition. It also has a very sensible price and decent yardage (400 yds/100gr) There should be a good market for yarn like this, especially in these economic times. Cascade is getting it right with this one, as they have with their 220 yarn. Good price, good value.

On the left are my size 9 socks (and they aren't small), and on the right his size 13. It's really hard to grasp the difference until you see the two together. And the black one hasn't even been blocked yet in this photo.

I really kinda like this guy. I'm planning another pair of dark dress socks for him.

6 comments:

Carie said...

True love is crazy big socks - congratulations on completing your (first) magnum opus!

Christy D. said...

I found my husband a long time before I found knitting. Fortunately, we have basically the same size socks. I'm very grateful for that when I see your pics of size 13 socks. That is definitely true love :)

Guinifer said...

And now his feet are WARM!

(However, I would like one of his socks to hang up for Santa next year....)

Kathy... said...

My husband has equally large feet. I made him a pair...once. vbg. You have to love them!

I really like the Cascade Heritage yarn also. I have used it for quite a few color-work projects. Also socks for mom. I wish it came in more colors though.....

Artseycrafts said...

Kay, knitting the enormous black socks are a true labor of love! I intend to try the Cascade sock yarn as soon as I find it somewhere. I am currently knitting size 10.5 socks but mine are superwash worsted wt. Wonder why so many of us are knitting socks for our guys?? (LOL)

Lynn said...

Great job on the socks! DIdn't realize that Cascade had sock yarn as well. Will have to keep an eye out for it.