Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A Handmade Doll

Today's entry was prompted by Jodi's post about the doll kit her mother gave her when she was a child. It brought back lots of memories for me..learning to sew on a treadle machine, the dolls with yarn hair that my own mother made for me, and the doll I made for my granddaughter.

The doll I made for my granddaughter was from a pattern in a woman's magazine. She was supposed to be an English maid. Since I had never seen an English maid, I simply followed the directions and here's what we got.Her hair is made of roving, which I felt lucky to find in a local yarn shop that also had spinning tools. The facial features I embroidered the best I could because I should have done the face before I stuffed the head. (Always plan ahead. heh.)It's hard to see from the photos, but her shoes are little high-top heels with tiny beads that pass for buttons. And her legs are adorned with grey flannel.She is 19 years old and my two granddaughters have taken really good care of her, don't you think?

7 comments:

ingrid said...

A very wonderful doll!
Ingrid

Artseycrafts said...

I agree, your granddaughters have taken very good care of her. I would have thought you just made her.

Carie said...

I can't believe she's 19 years old! I thought she was newly finished - she's very cute and I love the shoes

Angie said...

She looks wonderful! She has an excellent face and it is obvious she's been well cared for.

Walden said...

She has been well taken care of. I love the roving hair and just might have to try something like that with the doll I am making now . . . hmm.

Kathy said...

Oh she HAS been well cared for and loved. Darling in her quiet non 2009 way! Funny to see a doll all covered up instead of a Bratz doll. I am a longtime Raggedy Ann lover. :)

ronniemama said...

I am English and I can confirm she looks exactly like my maid...