Thursday, January 15, 2009

Endless (XXL) Socks

As you may know, Minnesota is a regular deep freeze right now.  -22 degrees this morning.  That's below zero, folks!  We're supposed to have a heat wave this weekend.  +29 degrees.

I wonder sometimes why we stay here in these harsh winter months.  Harsh doesn't begin to describe it.  It's so cold, it takes your breath away when you go out for the mail.  Hear the snow crunch.  
I'm working on a pair of socks for the Judge, who requested some black or dark blue that he could wear with his suits and good shoes.  I've been knitting blindingly black stockinette furiously, and honestly have contemplated leaving the needles in my hands tonight so I could knit in my sleep.  Well, okay, that might not be such a good idea--what with the double points and all.  I'm about 70% done with the pair, but as I've grumbled about before, he has very big feet.  Meanwhile, he has taken to wearing the casual pairs that I made even though they don't match his suits and shoes!  But they keep his toes nice and warm, and that's no small feat (heh) in this weather.

6 comments:

Walden said...

Ugh, black stockinette. I feel for you and I only made fingerless gloves like that!

Artseycrafts said...

The judge will appreciate his new, warm black socks. I need to knit more for my son who lives there too. Brrr!

Carie said...

Black stst when it's grey and miserable and cold outside is a feat indeed - at least you know that they will be treasured and appreciated when they're finished!

limedragon :-: Harriet said...

70%? It won't be much longer until you can call them done. I like the gray stripe accent! : )

Guinifer said...

Lucky judge.
My feet are freezing.

Angie said...

I'll echo that the judge is a lucky guy. Those will be excellent dress socks for this winter.