Thursday, September 04, 2008

Rainy Lake Socks

I declare, these socks remind me of an old maroon Pontiac--or school colors--or my Grandpa Vee. They just look sturdy and timeless and sincere, if socks can be all that. Another knitter looked at them and asked me if it was an old pattern. No, just an old designer! I was aiming for a vintage look and it was good to hear someone else say they seemed so.
Yarn: Koigu KPPPM, colorway P71672, 100% Merino Wool (very soft) and on the toes and heels and cuffs, Patons Kroy Sock yarn, colorway 54405, 75% Washable wool, 25% Nylon (very durable).
Pattern: My own.
Needles: #2 (2.25mm) dpns
Comments: I like the juxtaposition of these two yarns--the luxury Koigu on the foot where you want softness and the hard-working Kroy where you need it most.
The slight difference in the thickness and texture of the two yarns does not seem to be noticeable, especially after washing and blocking. Both yarns have a nice drape (not that drape is important in socks, you know).The Koigu yarn colorway is best shown in the very first photo of this post where you can notice the slight greenish background. It was very difficult to get a good representation of it even in natural light and tweaking the exposure.

9 comments:

Kathy said...

I love them!!

I think these are my favorites of all your socks...so far. You just keep me drooling, you know. :-)

Dave said...

What a great colour combination, and I love that stripe sequence. I've been afraid of the speckled Koigu in case it knit up weird, but these look wonderful -- you've convinced me to give a try. :-)

Jen said...

I LOVE those socks!

Artseycrafts said...

I agree with everyone - they are beautiful!

Sally said...

Your socks really are becoming an art form!!

I love the combos that you put together, yarns and patterns..beautiful!

Suzanne said...

Those are some of the coolest socks I've seen!!!
Love the colors. How fun!!
Suzanne

Pat said...

I love the Kroy/Koigu combo - a they definitely have the vintage look with the striping - very nice!

travellersyarn said...

I love, love, love, these. Do you mind if they are the "inspiration" for my husband's birthday present?

Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

I love these socks! Look so comfy too.