Friday, August 01, 2008

Narragansett Bay Socks - Finished!

Yarn: Briggs & Little Durasport (80% wool, 20% nylon), Coloway Oatmeal.
Pattern: Narragansett Bay Socks, by Lisa Lloyd, from the book "A Fine Fleece.")
Needles: #1 (2.25mm) dpns
Comments: Seriously woolly yarn. Hope it's as sturdy in the sock as it feels in the hand. I love its rustic ruggedness and the oatmeal color. The reasonable price (about $6) and ample yardage (430 yds) were great selling points, too.
This is a lovely pattern. But some of us just can't resist changing them(who, me?). I started with the seed stitch at the top, but found it to be too loose, so I started over with a 2x2 ribbing and then did the seed stitch, only a shorter version of it. Also, I spaced the Gansey patterning evenly, rather asymmetrical as in Lisa's pattern. When I got to the flap, Heaven help me, I thought it might look good to carry the seed stitches down the sides of that as well. It was a somewhat unrewarded exercise. Also, you might notice that I added--as I sometimes do--a few rows of stockinette on the heel side before I begin the flap, having the hopeful notion that it might reduce the bulk of the sock at the ankles.And now, for something completely different...
Here's a new project from yarn and pattern purchased online, where I either clicked a colorway different from one I wanted, or they sent me the wrong color. I started the small shawl in the yarn (at left) and wasn't liking the result. So I added some Kidsilk Haze, and - Viola! This changed everything, with softer look and a decidedly different color. This is something I've done before, with a sport weight yarn and a bulky, with fascinating results. If you haven't experimented with adding this Rowan yarn to another lightweight yarn, give it a try. You might be happily surprised.

5 comments:

Kathy W said...

I love the socks! And I'm with you on the bulky heel thing. I think it turned out wonderfully.

The shawl looks great so far. Can't wait to see it finished.

Carie said...

The socks are gorgeous - rustic in a good way and I can't believe how much difference the KSH makes to the colour of those shawls - I would never have guessed

Artseycrafts said...

Beautiful socks! I've read the yarn is very durable and warm, good for MN winters! I am also anxious to see your shawl.

Guinifer said...

Your socks always look so sophisticated! I'm loving the color with the Kidsilk.

Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

Love the socks! And wow to the color change simply by adding another yarn like that. Sure makes a difference. Can't wait to see the end result.