Saturday, July 19, 2008

Modified Thuja - 6th Pair Noro Socks Finished!

This is so photo-intensive; sorry if it's slow to load on your computer.


Yarn: Noro Kureyon Sock Yarn, colorway # 233
Pattern: Thuja, by Bobby Ziegler (modified)
Needles: #1 (2.25mm) dpns
Comments: The ribbing has a more subtle effect in the Kureyon yarn than it does in a solid or semi-solid colored yarn. I like this pattern very much; thanks, Bobby!
You know, I cannot resist changing most patterns, even a tiny bit. After all, I'm the boss of my knitting! Ahem! Because of my recent fondness for anklets, one modification I made was to extend the 1x1 ribbing so that the socks can be folded down into anklets and not show the back side of the pattern.
I also manipulated the needles just before the instep so that the pattern would be centered exactly on the instep, with a purl stitch on each side. When I do this, the first needle has one less stitch and the instep has one extra. Then when it's time to do the toe, I slip that instep stitch back onto the first needle and finish the sock.
Again, matching the stripes with Noro is somewhat of a lucky thing. You can get close, but if you have just one knot, as this skein did, it throws everything off. Even without knots, the stripes can be of such variation as to prevent two exactly matching socks.Speaking of Noro sock yarn, have you seen the new Silk Garden sock yarn? I have in my possession three glorious skeins of the stuff:As Charlie Brown would say, "Good Grief!"

4 comments:

Artseycrafts said...

Beautiful socks - I like the blue and green. I knit Thuja also but your Noro yarn looks so much prettier.

Dave said...

Mmmmm, I love those colours!

Kathy said...

They are indeed beautiful! Do you think the silk garden sock yarn is softer? I would presume....??

Guinifer said...

Gorgeous socks - I love the Thuja! So the new stuff, how soft is it?