Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Noro Socks - The Fourth Pair

It's a landscape of color...Yarn: Noro Kureyon Sock, Colorway #185 - 70% Wool, 30% Nylon
Pattern: Shadow Rib Socks from The Little Box of Socks by Charlene Schurch and Beth Parrott
Needles: I used #1 (2.25mm) dpns, but the pattern called for 3 skeins of Gems Sport yarn and size 3 (3.25mm) dpns.

Comments: Despite a minor frustration (a knot that abruptly interrupted the colors and dared me to match both socks) I still like this controversial yarn. After my best artistic effort, they match--sort of. Someone wrote on Ravelry that it's nearly impossible to match socks perfectly with Noro because of the irregularity of the striping.
Even with careful counting and attention to consistent tension, my socks often look different sizes on the foot due to my mismatched feet. Well, that's a plausible excuse, no?Yup, Noro sock yarn is bumpy, with thick and thin areas to worry the perfectionist in each of us. And it tends to stretch out a bit like cotton yarn when you wear it. It's somewhat like a wild child in those respects. Ah, but did I mention the color?

7 comments:

Rhonda said...

Beautiful! I have a ball of Noro Sock yarn in my stash. I've been hesitant to knit with after everything I've heard. But the colors are oh so Noro-mazing!

Debra said...

They look perfect to me! Can I have them? (Kidding. sort of.)

Kathy said...

Lovely socks....yes a bit on the "wild child" side! Love them. A bit of a throw from my plain white socks, huh?? LOL!

And...tell me about this "box of socks". Is it a book, or does it come with sock makings enclosed? Why have I not heard of this before???? I hate being "out" of it....

Dave said...

I think they look wonderful. The extremely small unmatchiness simply enhances the texture of the yarn. :-)

Are you finding that they soften up sufficiently afer you wash them?

Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

Wow, that's the closest matchy match I've seen done with Noro. Beautiful job! I just got a skein of Noro sock yarn yesterday to see what it's all about. Seems that either you love it, or you don't. Haven't seen an in-between comment yet. Oh those colors are yummy!

Jen said...

I love the socks! I think my Noro sock yarn is going to have to come with me on my road trip next month. I need some of those. :)

SusieH said...

Foudn the blog looking for a picture of this colourway of Noro. Your Noro socks are all amazing! Almost, but not quite :), making me want to knit some. Your socks are all lovely. How do you find the durability of the wool, used as a sock. I am using this shade (185) for a Revontuli scarf/shawlette and the skein I have just seems so...amateurish and overspun and thin/thick crazy. Is it reeeeeally good for socks?