Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Lake Geneva Socks

Yarn: Soxx Appeal (96% superwash Merino wool, 3% nylon, 1% elastic) coloway 9692.

Pattern: Lake Geneva Socks - My own design, and there could be a pattern posted after I make a couple changes to it.

Needles: #1 (2.25mm).

Comments: The yarn calls for #2 needles. I should have paid attention. They are a little more snug than I usually make my socks. These socks took almost every bit of the two balls of yarn, and this has been my experience with Soxx Appeal, even with a mostly stockinette stitch. If you are going to do a patterned sock with it, you might want to consider getting extra yarn.

Although I really like the yarn to knit with and to wear, getting the tension right can be a bit tricky because of the elastic content.

I'm happy with the way the overall patterning turned out. It's reversible so that when the cuff is turned down, the effect is very similar to the right side of the fabric.

The pattern is situated evenly across the instep, allowing the edges of the pattern to both be the same. But those edges are the areas that need a bit of tweaking to give a smoother overall edging.

1 comment:

Angie said...

Very nice socks! I'll look forward to the pattern being posted.

Sigh. Lake Geneva and the Yarn house?! I bet you drove within a yarn ball's throw or so of my place! There are a lot of lovely yarn shops in Madison!