Saturday, April 26, 2008

Oldies But Goodies

The Judge likes books as much as--maybe more than--I do. And he knows a great old booklet when he sees one (or two). Some guys bring flowers, and he occasionally does that. But today he brought me these booklets. What a sweetie.

The sock booklet is from 1948, and it contains quite a few styles, with the completion of the basic sock pattern in detail on the back page. Just think--10 cents ! What do you think a booklet with 18 sock patterns be worth today? White anklets with cables are very pretty, don't you agree?The gloves and mittens booklet is from 1944, but this one costs more (15 cents!). I'm guessing mittens were more popular to knit than socks. Or maybe the cost is more because it's from a different company.
I like the man gloves, although they look a bit large for him. Notice the cigarette prop (don't burn the wool, mister).
And look! Wonderized yarn! It conjures up all sorts of magical perfection in wool yarn, doesn't it?
We've come a long way, baby!

4 comments:

Jen said...

Those....are....awesome!

Guinifer said...

What a wonderful and thoughtful gift! Will you try to knit from it?

Kathy said...

Where did he find them? My mom took knitting in Adult Education classes back in the late 50's. I remember her booklets looking just like those. She made my dad a pair of argyle socks...I think it was the last thing she ever knit. LOL!

Debra said...

"Anti-shrink, Anti-matting" Priceless! How Fun!!!