Saturday, March 29, 2008

It's All in Black and White

As you may know, Project Gutenberg has an amazing selection of out of copyright books available for your use. The following are pictures from "Beeton's Book of Needlework," by Isabella Beeton. It has an interesting selection of knitting, tatting, crochet and embroidery patterns. Originally published in 1870, the patterns are written a bit differently than today's .

This sleeping sock caught my eye...
And what about a knee warmer for next winter...or not.


The Judge wears suspenders--do you think he might like these?

I'm not sure about curtains...
Fascinating, eh? Check out the book (or print it out) here.

3 comments:

Artseycrafts said...

How interesting - thanks for the link! I hope your weather is warmer. Spring has really arrived here.

Kathy said...

Fun! Thanks for sharing. Hmmm...wonder how many pairs of knee warmers I should make for Christmas gifts?? There might be a great demand you know!

Cheryl Virginia D said...

Hi,

I just joined the feed to From the Back Yard. White socks, I am in total agreement with you on this matter. Really am enjoying the older patterns as well. The curtain is fascinating and has potential to be the one for my sliding deck doors. I favor leg warmers over knee warmers but that is my own taste.
Hoping to gain inspiration and fun in the Back Yard,
Cheryl Virginia D in coastal Maine