Wednesday, March 12, 2008

I Can't Believe I'm Knitting Lace Socks!



Embossed Leaves in Progress


I was sure I wouldn't care for lace socks. But this pattern might have changed my mind.

Some of us have to pay attention when working from a chart. One reader commented that she couldn't memorize this pattern and so the second sock never happened. It's a lovely pattern but I couldn't memorize it, either.

There are 16 rows to this pattern, and by the time one remembers the pattern to a row, it's on to the next row. And there are no rows in between where you can cruise (like a straight knit row). Maybe if you are a veteran lace knitter or if you have done the socks several times you might know it by heart. Even so, it's not a difficult pattern.



And here's a view of the sock on my foot. Notice the garter stitch patterning on the flap, a nice touch.

Will I like the holes? Maybe.

4 comments:

Guinifer said...

I don't mind the holes at all.

I finally did memorize it after the heel on the second sock!

Debra said...

Oh, I think you'll learn to love the holes!!! Your socks are looking great. :)

On this pattern I think the toe detail is brilliant-- the leaves are allowed to continue to points.

Carie said...

By the time you've finished you will be in the thrall of lace socks - they're very addictive and not at all cold - the Embossed leaves is a lovely pattern and has a very clever toe still in store for you.

Kathy said...

I NEVER memorize patterns. I don't even try....perhaps those little graphs and magnets are just a crutch for me, but I am quite happy with their constant use.

You'll love your lacy socks...and a whole new world is at your needle-tips!!