Sunday, March 16, 2008

Embossed Leaves Socks - Finished!


The Embossed Leaves Socks were finished yesterday and after showing them to an admiring Judge, they languished on the ottoman overnight. These socks were on the needles for a week.
They look fairly interesting without blocking and off the foot.
Yarn: Louet Gems Fingering Weight yarn, 100 grams, colorway Pewter.
Pattern: Embossed Leaves Socks by Mona Schmidt from Interweave's Favorite Socks book.
Needles: US #2 (2.75mm) dpns, the recommended needle size in the pattern.

Comments: This is a beautiful and well-written pattern. It was the first time I had done a 1 x 1 rib cast on, and quite possibly I didn't do it correctly because it certainly doesn't have the stretch that I would like. I normally use #1 needles for my socks, and these are done on #2, so they are plenty roomy for my feet. Because they aren't too snug, the pattern shows itself without being stretched--a nice effect.

Also, the ribbing is supposed to be worked for 1-3/4" but I stopped at 1-1/4" because it looked more like the photograph in the book.

If you haven't done any lace socks before, this might be a good one to start you on the lace-knitting path.

7 comments:

Artseycrafts said...

Your EL socks are beautiful! I have knit this pattern twice because it is fun to knit. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I have enjoyed mine.

Pam the Yarn Goddess said...

I wanted to tell you that your socks are gorgeous, from the design to the knitting to the color. I also wanted to tell you that a 1x1 rib doesn't have the stretchiness that a 2x2 or other rib has; it's definitely not my favorite for ribbing on socks. One way I've found to improve the situation if you use a 1x1 is to knit through the back loops on the knit stitches. It tightens them up, gives them more durability, and improves the bounce-back.

I hope that helps. :)

Guinifer said...

I think I did a different toe - but that pattern definitely has quite a bit of elegance in a solid. I used some of Lisa Souza Variegated and I liked it, but the solid is just beautiful.

Kathy Wajerski said...

Beautiful! I might try that pattern next pair of socks. Which I hope will be very soon.

I love the Noro socks, too. They go great with black.

Kathy said...

Very Nice! Love the pattern, Love the color, Love the Louet Gems yarn (one of my fav's for socks!) You have a winner there, in my opinion! Hope you enjoy them....

Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

I love the lace socks. I also love the colorful Noro socks you did. And they do go well with the shoes, LOL.

Jen said...

Another fine pair of socks! :)