Thursday, February 28, 2008

Noro Socks #3 - Finished!

Yarn: Noro Kureyon Sock Yarn, colorway S150
Pattern: My own, using the Strong Heel
Needles: #1 dpns

Comments: This might be my final Noro sock, unless they come out with some new colors. It's not that I don't like the current colors; they are fabulous. But now I need to work on something else for awhile.

I knit this sock using the Strong Heel. No, that doesn't mean that the heel is any stronger than other heels. The heel is named for its creator, Gerdine Strong, and you can find the pattern in Knitters magazine, fall 2003. I have searched for the pattern on the web and am sorry to say I haven't found it anywhere. The good thing about this heel is that there is no flap and no picking up of stitches. For those of you who dislike picking up stitches, this is the pattern for you.

How does it work? Well, instead of a flap, a gusset is made and then the heel is turned.


This allows for a minimally uninterrupted pattern on the heel which is especially nice if you are using a self-striping yarn. The down side? I find certain increases somewhat annoying and not nearly as friendly as decreases, especially when knitting on as snug a gauge as socks. That said, this is the third pair of socks I've made with the Strong Heel.Here's the next sock in the works. It incorporates an unusual cast on, a twisted rib, some lace (we'll see how long it takes me to frog that) and a star toe, which seems to be a favorable one according to some knitters.

2 comments:

Guinifer said...

That pink is oh-so gorgeous!
(Nice socks!)

Kathy said...

Love the latest Noro! So...how does the "Strong" heel feel on the foot? That is usually the clincher for me. Have you ever tried "Priscilla's Dream Sock" by Priscilla Gibson-Roberts? It is in the IK's Favorite Socks book (And, I KNOW you have that book! :)) That was my all time favorite basic sock pattern for quite awhile.

I have the magazine you mentioned...at least I think so. I may have to do some digging and a little research. I need something to inspire me back to socks......
k