Thursday, February 07, 2008

Gray Cabled Socks


More gray--gray skies and gray socks!

Yarn: Fortissima Socka, colorway 1056
Pattern: No Tears Socks, by Dee Bamford
Needles: Susan Bates Quicksilver #1 dpns

Comments: A few changes here: I did the cable only on the front of the socks, leaving off the cable on the back of the leg. Also did a Dutch heel and my own toe version. The Dutch heel is a little bulbous for my slightly skinny heels, but it's a good-looking heel anyhow. If I do this pattern again, I will change on which row the cable starts after the ribbing.


And you really don't want to know the contortions I went through to get this shot of the heel. You can click on the image to get a better look at it.





The cable is named "Eccentric Cable" in Barbara G. Walker's "A Treasury of Knitting Patterns." There are four of these books in a comprehensive series of knitting patterns by the author. My library includes all of them (slight embarrassment here at the magnitude of my knitting library). They are almost never on sale, and the last two I felt lucky to get at 25% off when my LYS had a special sale on all patterns and books.




At left is the logo for my knitting group that meets monthly at a local coffee shop. We have eight members and the small meeting room is filled when everyone attends. At the last meeting we watched Lucy Neatby's "Knitting Essentials 1." It might be the best DVD available on knitting technique. With my laptop we took a peek at Ravelry. Everyone learned something and got some knitting and chatting in, too.

We are planning field trips to yarn shops and other points of interest. With stops for food, of course!

3 comments:

Jen said...

Love the cabled socks. It makes me want to finsih my faux cable socks!

Agnes said...

Nice ... very nice! They look comfortable and I love the colour!

Kathy said...

Sometimes Gray is not grey, it's Glorious! Your socks fall into the Glorious category.

Your knitting group sounds like great fun. What is the meaning of the logo - what does the kgb stand for?