Sunday, February 10, 2008

From Drab to Noro Bright

It seems my knitting goes from drab to bright as whimsically as Minnesota weather changes.

Normally, in this household, certain things must match. Socks, underwear, shoes and bags, etc. Or at least they must give a congenial nod to coordination of color and design. But my Noro socks are of another realm altogether. It's not just the color that lures the eye and piques the mind. It's also the texture of the yarn that makes one imagine carefree, sunny childhood days when a box of crayons could spark a breathless masterpiece of blended hues.

The evocative power of this yarn is one reason why I don't even attempt to match the striping. It would be like insisting that a child color within the lines.

4 comments:

renee said...

What do you think about the Noro sock yarn? I love the colors, but I've heard some complaints about how it knits up - no give, too thick and thin, too scratchy, etc. Although I've felt a couple of socks knit out of it and they feel plenty soft to me.

Guinifer said...

Well, they match in a non-matchy sort of way...

I like them anyway.

Kathy said...

So pretty! I really must, must, MUST get some of that yarn.... I promise myself that it will be my very next sock yarn purchase! My favorite online vendor is out of it right now. I can't find it locally. Sigh....

Jen said...

As always, I am loving your socks. I really like the colors of that yarn.