Monday, January 14, 2008

In a Sock and Scarf Rut

Another reversible cable scarf is taking shape:And a pair of socks in--some of my favorite colors--browns and grays. This is the new Noro sock yarn, and the color nobody else wanted but was my first choice.

As some of you know, I do two socks at a time so that I don't ever come up with the dreaded "second sock syndrome" although one could conceivably get a "two sock syndrome" where neither gets finished! I divide the skein of yarn so that I'm not knitting from both ends but from two skeins. The yarn wanted to knot up as I wound it from the skein, and it looked and felt like string. This concerned me, but once I started knitting, it was pure Noro bliss. The colors are amazingly rich and tweedy and ever-changing and the yarn has that rustic look that I like. I have run into two factory-produced knots so far and, as always, a bit of barnyard vegetation.

9 comments:

Kathy Wajerski said...

Very pretty scarf. I like the pattern and color.

I love the sock yarn, too. Really subtle changes. I've never knit with Noro before. In fact, I don't think I've ever even petted...I mean held it...before.

I'm a fan of browns as well.

Guinifer said...

Always beautiful colors, but I thought the yarn itself was really rough.

Jen said...

I am in love with that scarf!

Kathy said...

Scarf is gorgeous as usual! Also - really like that Noro colorway. What is the number on that? I need to think about chasing that down....! Totally "me"!

Agnes said...

I knitted 2 socks at a time at the beginning too because I was obsessed with the idea that I would knit them differently! But ever since I had the habit of writing notes while knitting, that problem is solved. :)
The red scarf is soooo beautiful!

pat said...

I finally got the scarf pattern yesterday - he had forgotten to send it. All that k1p1!! A lot of work - but it sure is a beautiful pattern. I haven't a clue when I'll fit it into the schedule, but I WILL!!
I'm glad to hear you like the Noro sock yarn - I've been hearing a lot of negative things which I didn't want to hear because it is such beautiful yarn!

Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

Love the scarf! I've never used the sock yarn ... might try it as soon as I find some. I like the tweedy look.

Debra said...

The noro sock yarn is like a handspun single, I think. That colorway is fab. Why someone would pass it up-- craziness. Pure craziness.

(ahem. I have one skein of noro sock yarn, and I picked the same color! :)

Angie said...

Thanks for the Noro review. I have the yarn but haven't knit with it yet. The socks are looking very nice.