Saturday, November 10, 2007

Noro Ribbed Scarf - Finished!

Yarn: Noro Silk Garden Colors 217, 234 and 84. 4 skeins total.
Pattern: brooklyntweed's Noro Striped Scarf
Needles: #7 Addi Turbos
Comments: Noro, thy name is Color! I was reminded of Elizabeth Zimmerman's saying about ribbing, "continue in ribbing until you are sick of it," or something to that effect--pardon my paraphrasing. Oh yes, you will be sick of the 1 x 1 ribbing by the time you reach the end of your yarn. But is it worth it? I think so. Noro can be difficult to knit; it's a bit rough, with vegetable matter and knots here and there--and it's quite expensive! The redeeming feature about this yarn is the ever-unfolding melding of colors that will mesmerize you and keep you knitting to the end.
Even before blocking, the scarf takes on a magical aura of its own.
Virtually every Noro Striped scarf I have seen is beautiful, so I really don't think you can choose the wrong colors. I am particularly fond of Kathy's lovely Noro scarf.

While striving for subdued color in this scarf, I would definitely go more colorful in the next one. Choose two dark colors and two multi-colored yarns and you will have a rainbow of beauty.

7 comments:

Guinifer said...

Hooray! & It's Gorgeous!

Both at the same time!

Kathy said...

I think yours turned out gorgeous!!
Thanks for the nice shout-out about my scarf. I agree - I don't think combining ANY noros would give you a bad scarf!

pat said...

Beautiful - Oh the pure pleasure of knitting for color!

Kathy Wajerski said...

I usually use the repetitive projects for times when I'm watching an absorbing show or reading blogs. But I think I would have to watch the colors unfold in that scarf.

I really like it.

Jen said...

That scarf is so pretty. I love the colors!!!

Debra said...

I bet you could knit the scarf in a different pattern next time-- to stop the K1P1 boredom disease. Your scarf turned out beautifully, in spite of the dulldrums!

Thanks for sharing, re: your brother. Glad to hear he's ok. Here's to his continued health!

Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

That is beautiful! You're pretty talented yourself even when the yarn does the colorwork. It's like performing magic isn't it? ;-)