Thursday, October 18, 2007

What, Me Worry?

On the needles now, another pair of plain socks. Really, making those intricately patterned socks is something I have done a little bit, but they just don't fit in my shoes as well. So I assume they wouldn't fit in other people's shoes, either. Why don't sock knitters speak of this? Or do they, and I have just missed it? I run around the house in my stocking feet. But having high standards, I draw the line at going out for the mail in them and then I stuff my feet into the nearest pair of shoes and dash.


In the "what, me worry?" department, I ran across a post about this yarn stash--totally amazing, seriously overwhelming . It only makes most of us feel a little bit better about hoarding yarn. And maybe a whole lot jealous, too.

5 comments:

Kathy said...

WOW! I can't imagine that much yarn in one home! She has more stock than lots of LYSs. I certainly hope she never experiences a moth infestation. It makes my little stash look pathetic!!

As for "Plain" socks, I agree with you actually. I like making ones with all the pretty patterns and lace work, but for actually wearing, give me the plain ones, or ribbed. I think that is why I like the Priscilla's Dream Sock pattern so well. But then, I guess I am sort of a Plain jane gal at heart most of the time anyway.

I am sure your gifted socks will be greatly appreciated. They look beautiful, btw!

Kathy said...

opps! Reread your post, and perhaps those socks are not a planned gift. Well - anyway - if they were, they'd be loved!! :)

LizzieK8 said...

I do plain socks, too, as I can't seem to count worth a damn when knitting socks.

A cure for the pattern making them fit wonky would be just to do the patterning on the leg and knit the foot plain....

Kathy Wajerski said...

I have wide feet so my shoes have to be a bit roomy. I wear worsted weight socks in the winter so I have no problem with the patterned socks fitting. But then...my shoes all tend to be of the athletic or granny variety. :-)

Nothing wrong with plain vanilla though. Those socks have enough of a color pattern that they don't need texture as well.

They look great.

renee said...

I don't seem to have problems with patterned socks in my shoes, for some reason. I mostly wear clogs, but I also wear boots, but as long as I knit my socks in sockweight yarn, they feel nice inside of the shoe. In fact, some of my best fitting socks are patterned - like the jaywalkers. I must have a bit of room in my shoes, I guess.