Sunday, August 26, 2007

Short Row Purgatory

Yes, that little white strip of yarn is a lifeline, and I shouted, "throw out the lifeline" more than once. Frogging is just too cute a word to describe it.

I have read countless online descriptions of how to do short rows with wraps. What seemed to be the hard part for me was exactly how to pick up the wraps. Then I read one that said to always pick up the wraps from the right side of the garment so as to hide the pickup. That really helped, but I still was not sure if I was picking them up from the correct angle.

After one heel was done, I realized there is the little (or big) problem of the hole at the apex of the short rows! Which little stitch(s) do you pick up and knit to alleviate this? Most of the tutorials don't include this and if they do, the description of the hole-fixing stitch does not seem to pierce my brain.

In the end, I did what I felt was a working solution for the hole as I kept telling myself they are only socks, for heaven's sake! If I do this on the toe as well, proficiency may come to me. Or not.

On a brighter note, my Rockin' Sock Club kit came Friday, and it's like cool, man! A real summer love-in!

6 comments:

Drin said...

Keep at it, you'll get those short rows yet! They do look great.

Guinifer said...

Yea - I could not get happy with my short row heels either. So - at least I have my STR kit to look forward to!

Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

I found that it does take practice and trial by error. I pick up the wraps as if to knit. It also helps to picture that by picking up the wraps knitwise and setting them on the left needle. Then knit the stitch & the 2 wraps together as one stitch. Whala! The wrap stitches then fall behind to the wrong side.

If the hole is on the last wrap, then pick up & make a stitch at this intersection before knitting the row around to the next side. Remember to pick up another loop[creating another stitch] on the other side and then knit2tog at this intersection on the next round. Might help to place a marker at each created stitch to remind you of this on the next round. See how that turns out for you. Believe me ... it took 5 PAIRS of short row heels socks to even say I liked them. ;-)

Debra said...

When I started knitting short-row heels I had endemic problems with holes.

Now I double wrap my short-row heels, a-la Lucy Neatby. It may not be the perfect solution for you, but I think it's certainly worth a try! The only holes I get occur at the start of the heel- and they're easy to cinch with a bit of yarn.

You can find a tutorial online (I'll link below), or check out her book "Cool Socks, Warm Feet". The garter stitch sock uses 60% of the original stitches. For a stockinette heel, I use 50-55% of the stitches.

Ok, tutorial from Lucy.
www.inknitters.com/Issue1/lucy.pdf

Oh, and thanks for the Lizard Ridge comment- the sweepstakes was quite a nice surprise!

Maria said...

We must both be sock crazy!!! I love the red, but love the Rainbow Sock even more. Thanks for you comment on my blog!!!

meg said...

Sometimes it may help if you knit into the back of the stitch (which twists it) at the point of looseness or a hole. Just another strategem to add to your arsenal ;o)