Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Solstice Slip - Finished (Artistic Liberties Taken)

Here is my version of the Solstice Slip from the Rockin' Sock Club. I did them top down, starting with the slip stitch pattern. I just could not get into the rhythm of the stitch, which may be just where my head is at this time, so I switched to a k3,p2 ribbing on the rest of the leg and the instep. I kept the garter stitch short row heel and toe, and this was my first attempt at kitchener stitch. I didn't have any problems with it except it seemed to get little bumps at either end. There must be a way to do the stitch without getting those, unless it's partly because of the garter stitch.The particulars:

Yarn: Blue Moon Fiber Arts Socks that Rock lightweight in colorway "Firebird."
Pattern: The Solstice Slip from the Rockin' Sock Club
Needles: Susan Bates Quicksilver #1 double points
Comments: BMFA makes some of the most beautifully dyed yarn in the world and it is great to work with and even better to wear. Next time I would make these in a more solid colored yarn and do them from the toe up, just for fun!

8 comments:

Michele said...

Awesome sock! Mine are on hold in favor of a sweater. My fingers are tired of tiny needles ;)

And to answer your question from my blog, the yarn is Rainbow Shepherd Sock from Lorna's Laces :)

Tanya said...

Those look really cool!

pat said...

I like your version a lot!! The slip stitch pattern is a bit bulky inside a shoe, so I think you made a great choice switching to ribbing (and it flows nicely from the little cable crosses at the top!)

Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

Beautiful! I haven't even started mine. I will soon now that I've seen yours. They look better than the originals.

skcmd said...

Thanks for posting. I liked doing the stitch but when i finished the first leg I realized that it doesn't look good on my ankle and the twists have pulled it in more than on my gauge swatch---so i had decided to rip the patterned rib back to where you did and do the straight ribbing and now your photo shows me that it is a good idea (no matter how bad frogging feels--other idea was to leave as is and make second sock different but i pushed that out of my mind).

archiknist said...

I haven't started these socks yet, but I'm glad for the warning that the slip-stitch might be tight. I discovered on the inside out socks that I need a looser cuff to fit over my heels. I really like your adaptation!

Phyllis said...

Just wanted to say that I love your adaption. I did the same thing with my Monsoon socks and am just getting to finishing the 2nd one. I love your short row heel. I'm still learning this technique but I'm determined. Great job!

Dave said...

Don't tell whoever designed the Solstice Slip, but I MUCH prefer your version. I think all that cabling gets lost in those colours, but yours showcase beautifully!