Thursday, April 12, 2007

Vivid Blues - Finished!

When I first started making socks ten months ago, most patterns I looked at called for at least 400 yards of yarn. Now, some of the patterns I am swooning over call for 500 or more yards.

So when I made a very simple sock pattern, a 2x2 ribbing (not even on the instep) and wisely reduced the length of the leg by 1/2", I did not expect to have yarn shortage anxiety. But I did, and there was very little yarn left over at the completion of these socks.

Yarn: Great Adirondack "Soxie" denim - 360 yards
Pattern: My own remix
Needles: Susan Bates Quicksilver #1 dp's (I love these needles)
Comments: The yarn stained my fingers a bit, probably the nature of indigo dye. The socks have a soft, springy feel and a really beautiful blending of color. I plan to soak them in water with vinegar added before I wash them, just to try to set the dye a bit more. If you know another way to set the colors, please comment!

Stay tuned for my next project involving Bearfoot Mountain Colors yarn (only 350 yards).

2 comments:

Jen said...

Those socks are just wondersul. I think I am going to have to get some of that yarn. I love the color!

Have a great weekend!

Guinifer said...

The socks are beautiful. I'll be interested to hear how the vinegar works for you.