Friday, December 01, 2006

Playing With Yarn...

Last year I made a scarf from a dk weight and Rowan's Kidsilk Haze. It had an ethereal look and my mother admired it so much, I gave it to her. It was lightweight, but very warm and the thought of it keeping her small frame warm as she went about her errands in our Minnesota winters made me happy.

Of course, I didn't make a pattern of it because it was a simple seed stitch. And just a plain scarf. Now I want to make another but using a worsted weight with the Kidsilk Haze, and I am fiddling and fiddling with needle size and number of stitches to get the look and feel I want. I can only imagine what designers go through getting a pattern ready for publication!



Speaking of scarves, I made these two last year using a garter stitch, the blue one went to my sister and the burgundy one is mine. I get a lot of compliments on this scarf and many of them are from college age gals. I suspect they like the U of M colors in it. My scarf was knitted quite long, and it has stretched even longer! I guess this is something to be expected of the garter stitch. But it makes me think twice about doing Sally Melville's Einstein Jacket. Would it end up dragging on the ground? How do I prevent that? Or is it even possible?

1 comment:

Guinifer said...

Cute scarves! I especially love the blue colors.